Friday, February 18, 2011

[Late Night House]Rhetoric

   [Late Night House]Rhetoric(Quinn)
Tribal beats and heavy house music is all I should say, also try make it out to one of their resident sessions @LateNightHouse featuring the areas dedicated house DJs
 
Read up!
[IF]When did you first start listening to EDM?

  
[Rhetoric] I first started listening to EDM sporadically in high school. It became an every-day thing by Senior year and within a year of being out of high school, pretty much the only thing coming out of my speakers was EDM.
 
[IF]What was your first event as a attendee?
 
[Rhetoric]The first event I ever attended was Space Girls 2 in Santa Cruz, CA. At that point I doubt I knew the difference between house, trance and techno.
 
[IF]Who was your first favorite artist/group?
 
[Rhetoric]My first favorite will always be Armin van Buuren. I no longer listen to or spin trance, but the DJ whose productions and sets always made me listen longer was AvB. I still think he played the best trance set I'll ever hear at Skills' After Party 2008.
 
[IF]When did you first start producing?
 
[Rhetoric]I took my first stab at producing when I was 19. I've been working on my productions very quietly but they've taken a backseat to my DJing and event production.
 
[IF]When did you start DJing?How did you learn?
 
[Rhetoric]I began learning the basics of DJing starting right around 19 years old with CDJ-200s and Virtual DJ. I learned more through trial and error than anything else. I was lucky enough to have a few friends come through and teach me about beat & pitch matching early on, and from there it's simply become a challenge of finding the right songs.
 
[IF]First setup and current set up(including comps, software,drumpads, etc)
 
[Rhetoric]My very first set up was just a computer with VDJ on it. People make fun of the sync button, but for a someone brand new to DJing, being able to see the track wave forms and learning how songs can be put together is incredibly important. Now I spin with Traktor, a Kontrol X1 and sometimes 2 control CDs. I've been meaning to move strictly to CDJs now but with Pioneer having moved their CDJs to a much more digital format, I'm questioning if this is even necessary anymore.
 
[IF]When was your first Gig/Performance?
 
[Rhetoric]My first gig was at the 42nd EPR, when it was still happening at Blake's on Telegraph, just about two years ago now.

  
[IF]Who has been a major influence to your productions?

[Rhetoric]This list is huge, but five names off the top of my head: Matteo DiMarr, Rene Amesz, Carl Cox, Uppermost, Moby.
 
[IF]What are your future goals for performances and productions?
 
[Rhetoric]Of course I want the stages and crowds to keep getting bigger, but my main concern is how people feel when they're listening to my music. I'm not really concerned with people jumping around and freaking the fuck out like they would to an Aoki or Bloody Beetroots set; I just want to know that they feel the bass and appreciate the groove as much as I do.
 


[IF] Do you collab with anyone?If so who?

[Rhetoric]I have spun multiple sets with close friends but for the most part I keep to myself in performances and production. It can be fun, enjoying DJing with a friend, but I've learned that this tends to limit my creative potential and thus I fly solo for the most part.
 
[IF]What is your Favorite or prefered performing equipment?(ie;Turntables(maker)/CDjs/Drumpads/Keyboards/Controllers)
 
[Rhetoric]It's all about the mixer for me; I'm not a huge fan of effects and beat pads. I feel like a lot of DJs tend to overcompensate for their lack of ability to properly set EQs during transitions with using way too many effects and in turn derailing the actual value of the track they've picked to spin. 

[IF]What is the biggest event you want to perform at?
 
[Rhetoric]If I could pick anywhere in the world, the #1 spot for me would be the LA Sports Arena. The Coliseum is definitely bigger, sure, but if you've ever been in the Sports Arena when someone who truly understands what it takes to hold it down is spinning, the vibe, atmosphere, and actual sound quality can not be topped. As for the event, I would probably pick Monster Massive. The vibe and quality of lineups they pick for both electro/big room house and tech house are always leading in the EDM field.

Tunes:
  Rhetoric - Tribal Vibe by SFRhetoric 

No comments:

Post a Comment